3 Essential Reasons to See a Doctor After a Truck WreckMarch 10, 2020
Seeking immediate medical attention after a truck accident can help you in many ways. In fact, it can bring short- and long-term benefits for your physical, mental, and financial recovery. Here are three key reasons why.
1. Medical Attention Can Mean Better Prognoses.
The sooner you get medical care after a truck accident, the sooner medical professionals can start treating your injuries. That can be vital to preventing further health complications. It can also go a long way towards better physical and psychological recoveries.
This is especially true when it comes to injuries that may have subtle symptoms at first—and that can get worse the longer they go untreated. Some common truck accident injuries that fall into this category include:
- Traumatic brain injuries (TBIs), including concussions and moderate TBIs
- Neck and back injuries, like whiplash and back strains
- Internal injuries, including sprains and other soft tissue injuries
2. Medical Professionals Can Document Your Injuries.
From the moment you first see a medical professional through every subsequent treatment, appointment, and more, everything will be recorded. This includes documenting:
- The extent and severity of your injuries
- Long-term or permanent impairments suffered
- When you received care and the type of care you have received
- What additional care you will need in the future
- The costs of all medical treatment
- Whether you’re physically and/or mentally able to work
All of this can later help your truck accident claim. It can prove how badly you were hurt in a wreck while providing unmistakable evidence of your suffering and losses. The lack of consistent medical treatment will be used against you by the insurance companies.
3. Medical Records Can Support Higher Financial Recoveries.
Thorough medical records can:
- Establish the costs of medical care: This includes all medical attention you have received, from emergency treatment at the accident scene to hospitalizations, follow-up appointments, prescription medicines, and more. It also can detail the exact type of medical care you’ll need moving forward—and its associated costs.
- Verify earnings losses: This can include past lost wages, as well as future lost earnings. It can also cover lost benefits, commissions, bonuses, and other earnings you would have earned had you been able to return to work.
Knowing and proving the amounts associated with these losses can strengthen a truck accident claim and lead to greater compensation from that claim.
3 More Important Facts About Medical Care for Truck Accident Injuries
- Waiting to get medical treatment after a truck wreck will work against you: In fact, the longer you wait, the more leverage you may be giving insurance companies (and/or others) to argue that you were not that badly hurt in the accident. They can say that you would have seen a doctor right away if you were seriously injured—and they may even argue that something after the accident caused your injuries.
- Always follow-through with all prescribed care: Don’t skip a doctor’s appointment, and don’t put off any treatment. Foregoing treatments will, again, work against you when it’s time to prove the harm you have suffered.
- Always follow doctors’ orders: This includes any physical limitations or restrictions from your doctor. Following doctors’ orders can support your physical recovery. It can also help you avoid doing anything that may sabotage your claim.
Hurt in a Truck Accident? We Can Help
If you or someone you know has been hurt in any type of truck wreck, you can rely on an experienced truck accident attorney at the Amaro Law Firm for exceptional advocacy in the pursuit of justice and recovery. We proudly represent accident victims, injured truckers, and others, working relentlessly to bring their cases to successful resolutions.
Call (713) 955-5521 or Email Us
for a Free, Confidential, No-Obligation Case Evaluation
Searching for a “truck accident lawyer near me” won’t guarantee you’ll find the best truck accident attorney to represent you. When you want to be confident you’re working with an experienced semi-truck accident lawyer who can help you position your case for success, you want the Amaro Law Firm.
At the Amaro Law Firm, we’re proud to be allies and advocates for all truck accident victims—and we have a track record of successfully resolving truck wreck claims.
While we understand compensation cannot reverse the damage caused by serious wrecks, we also know that the recoveries from truck crash cases can help restore lives.
The Amaro Law Firm’s record of success and exceptional advocacy in 18-wheeler claims has earned us 5-star ratings on Google and Facebook, glowing testimonials from former clients, and a 10 rating on Avvo.