Truck Loading Dock Injuries: What You MUST Know Whenever You’re in or Around a Loading BayApril 24, 2019
Loading docks are busy hubs where trucks, products, and heavy equipment are regularly on the move. In fact, loading docks (also known as loading bays) are considered to be one of the most dangerous areas in warehouses, distribution centers, and truck terminals.
Whether you’re a trucker, a dockhand, a forklift driver, or anyone else who works in (or is regularly around) a loading dock, here’s what you need to know about loading bay injuries and your rights.
If you or a loved one has suffered a loading dock injury and you need answers now about your rights and legal options, don’t hesitate to contact an experienced lawyer at the Amaro Law Firm. We are here for you, ready to provide helpful answers.
Have You or a Loved One Been Hurt in a Loading Dock Accident
or Any Type of Trucking Accident?
Call (713) 955-5521 or Contact Us
for a Free, Confidential, No-Obligation Case Evaluation
During your FREE consultation, we will explain your legal options. Free virtual and mobile consultations are available to anyone who cannot visit our offices.
Most Common Types of Loading Dock Accidents
Any number of events or oversights in a loading bay can cause accidents. Some of the most common types of truck loading dock accidents include:
- Motor vehicle accidents, which occur when trucks or forklifts run over workers
- Crushing accidents, which happen when cargo or equipment falls on workers, as well as when workers get trapped between trucks and loading ramps (or any two major pieces of equipment or structures at loading docks)
- Falling accidents, which can occur at the bay or whenever a major piece of equipment, like a dock leveler, fails
- Explosions, which can happen when flammable cargo is mishandled or when certain major pieces of equipment in the area malfunction.
When injured workers survive these injuries, it’s not uncommon for them to suffer catastrophic, possibly permanent damage. Some of the most common injuries caused by loading dock accidents include:
- Head and brain injuries
- Loss of limb and disfigurement
- Severe bone fractures
- Severe burns
- Deadly injuries.
Who’s Liable for Loading Dock Injuries?
Liability for a loading dock accident will depend on who’s responsible for causing that incident. Commonly parties who are liable for loading dock accidents and injuries can include:
- Equipment manufacturers – These companies can be liable if equipment malfunctions and subsequent accidents are caused by things like faulty design or subpar construction. For example, if inherently faulty dock levelers or defective elevators hurt someone at a loading dock, the manufacturer may be considered responsible for the resulting damage.
- Companies that own and/or operate the warehouse, truck terminal, or distribution center – These parties can be liable if their failures to train their workers, maintain safe equipment, or comply with safety regulations contribute to loading dock accidents.
- Trucking companies – If motor carriers have hired unsafe or unqualified drivers, violated safety regulations or failed to maintain safe trucks, they may be among those held responsible for the accident.
- Truck drivers – If distracted, impaired, unqualified, or otherwise negligent truckers fail to safely operate their vehicles and run someone over, they can be liable for that accident.
- Others – From cargo loaders and freight brokers to warehouse contractors and others, there are many more who may be liable for loading dock injuries.
An attorney at the Amaro Law Firm can help you determine who’s liable for your injuries if you’ve been hurt in any type of loading bay accident. The sooner you get answers about liability, your rights, and your legal actions, the sooner you can take action to:
- Hold the at-fault parties responsible for harming you
- Get on the path to recovery and justice.
What Should I Do After I’ve Suffered a Truck Loading Dock Injury?
See a doctor as soon as possible, and get the treatment you need. Then, contact a loading dock accident attorney at the Amaro Law Firm to find out more about your rights and options.
In the aftermath of your accident, determining who’s liable for hurting you is crucial. It can provide you the key to getting the compensation you need and the justice you deserve. While money can’t erase the accident or damage it’s caused, compensation can help you restore your life.
Find Out More About Your Potential Claim: Contact a Truck & Loading Dock Accident Lawyer at the Amaro Law Firm
A loading dock injury and accident lawyer at the Amaro Law Firm is ready to help you navigate the road to recovery and justice. To find out more about your options, contact us.
At the Amaro Law, we are known for providing exceptional advocacy in the pursuit of justice. Our long-standing record of success in injury and accident cases has earned us 5-star ratings on Google and Facebook, glowing testimonials from former clients, and a 10 rating on Avvo.